top of page

Gone, but forever notorious:

Bars of Southeast Alaska



        Mikes: 1935 – 2003.  Owned by Mike Pusich and first known as the Dreamland, Mike’s was the most popular place

         for dining and dancing in the area.  The Island Pub, site of Mike’s, has a beautiful photo tribute on display.



        Club Saloon:  Corner of Main Street and "Vogel Avenue," 1904 – 1917.  A wild and crazy place in the pre-prohibition

         years; owned by Tim Vogel, who was an original member of the “Soapy” Smith gang.



        Arctic Bar: 148 South Franklin, 1933 - 2014.  Included in first edition of Notorious Bars of Alaska.

        Capital Beer Parlor aka Capital Lounge aka Capital Cafe: 123 Front Street, 1933 – 1947.  A large dance floor and a big

         round table for politicos were the attractions here.


        Germania:  162 South Franklin, 1903 -1917.  Famous for gambling and show girls.


        Louvre: 241 Front Street, 1896 - 1916.  Gambling, show girls and vaudeville could be found here.  


        Occidental Bar: 418 South Franklin, 1911 – 1915 and 1947 - 1975      


        Sweeney’s Corner Bar: 282 South Franklin, 1948 – 1972.  Brothers Ed and Bill Sweeney and their families ran this

         bar which had sawdust on the floor, a tradition that the Red Dog Saloon, which now occupies the site of

         Sweeney’s, continues to this day.



        Alaska: 132 Mission Street and 316 Mission Street, 1934-2004.  Featured a “Scopitone” (jukebox with videos)

         in the 1960’s.

        Derby Room: 2200 Tongass Ave., 1953 - 2015.  Included in the first edition of Notorious Bars of Alaska.


        Fo’c’s’le: 312 Front Street, 1934-2003.  Home to halibut fishermen and loggers, who drank and brawled here. 

         Now a jewelry store, which is apparently more profitable.


        Frontier: 116 Front Street, 1953 – 1985.  A beautiful wooden building with an old west saloon motif.

         A live melodrama The Fish Pirate’s Daughter could be seen here in the 1970’s.


         Mecca:  Ward Cove, 1954 – 2013.  Frequented by pulp mill workers.  


         Pioneer: 122 Front Street, 1912- 1917 and 1934 – 2003.


         Shamrock: 217 Stedman Street, 1934 - 1983                                                                                                       



        Columbia: 60 Lincoln Street, 1936-2011.  Dancing to an actual orchestra was the draw here during the 40’s and 50’s. 


        Silver Foam Recreation Center aka Silver Foam Yacht Club: 201 Lincoln Street (now Old Harbor Books) 1939 -

         1953.   Walt Bacon, and later Harry Hagen, served not only booze but also milkshakes along with the gambling,

         billiards, card tables, cigars and cigarettes.



        Jeff Smith’s Parlor: 5/14/1898 – 7/8/1898.  The lair of the notorious con man Jefferson “Soapy” Smith.  Currently

         being restored by the National Park Service.    


        Moe’s Frontier Saloon: Fourth and Broadway, 1937 – 2007.  Malcolm and Mary Moe operated this classic bar that

         sold t-shirts with upside-down letters that read “If you can read this please put me back on my barstool.”


        Mascot (Mascotte) Saloon: 1898 – 1916.  The site of an archaeological investigation conducted by the National Park

         Service.  The museum is a must-see when in Skagway.


        Pack Train: Third and Broadway, 1897 – 1916 and 1938 – 1975.  One of the very first saloons and restaurants in

         Skagway, it moved three times to avoid being on the outskirts of town.



        Brennan’s:  “Big Jim” Brennan presided over his notorious “Bucket of Blood” saloon from 1910 – 1917 and then

         again from 1934 – 1950.

bottom of page