Gone, but forever notorious:

bars of Interior Alaska

 

CENTRAL

           Arctic Circle Hot Springs Resort: 1933 – 2002.  The bar was in a log cabin next door to the three-story hotel.  The resort re-opened                  briefly in 2004.  See photos at the Circle District Historical Society web site http://www.cdhs.us/Fset.htm

 

DELTA JUNCTION

             Buffalo Lodge: Mile 266 Richardson Highway, 1948 - 2012

            Tom’s Inn: Mile 273 Richardson Highway, 1956 – 1999.

 

ESTER

            Malemute Saloon: Ester Gold Camp, 1958 – 2008.  Shows based on the writings of Robert Service were the main attraction.  The                     bar counter top came from Dawson City.

 

FAIRBANKS

            Chena Bar: 701 First Avenue (First and Barnette), 1941 -1945 and 407 Second Avenue, 1953 – 1978 

            Comet Club: 208 Gaffney Road, 1957 - 2015.  Included in the first edition of Notorious Bars of Alaska.

 

            Cottage Bar: 504 Second Avenue, 1942 - 1950 and 501 Second Avenue, 1951 – 2007.  A favorite of millionaire businessman Cap                         Lathrop and Irene Sherman, the famous Fairbanks “bag lady.”

 

            Dreamland: 537 First Avenue, 1944 – 1960.  Became the Gold Rush Saloon.

 

            Fairbanks Bar: 542 Second Avenue, 1954 – 1981.  Wildlife trophies on the walls

 

            Flame Lounge: 5XX Second Avenue, 197X – 198X.  Notorious 'Two Street' bar duing the pipeline years.  Strippers, prostitutes, and

            all of the usual vices were found in abundance here. 

 

            Flame Room: 505 1/2 Second Avenue, 1948 - 1970.  One of the first bars in town to have a TV.

 

            Gold Rush Saloon: 537 First Avenue. 1960 – 1983.  Modeled after the Red Dog Saloon in Juneau, featuring a rinky-tink piano and                      Can-Can girls.  Moved to Peger Road and became a sports bar.

 

             Hideaway: 731 Second Avenue, 1955 – 2008.  One of the first places in Fairbanks to serve Mexican food.  Moved to 107 Wickersham

             Street in 2002 and to 651 Eighth Street in 2004.

 

             Leprechaun Room: 1100 Cushman, 1960 -1964 and 419 Second Avenue, 1965 – 1975.

 

             Nevada Bar: 605 First Avenue, 1938 – 1971.  The interior was decorated with photos, news clippings and antiques of early Alaska.                     Built in 1909, the building was condemned by the Fairbanks City Council.  A two-day wake was held and the Governors of                              Alaska and Nevada both sent letters of condolence. 

 

             Northward Lounge: 455 Third Avenue (Third Avenue and Lacey Street) 1952 – 2007.  Inside the Northward Apartment building.

 

             Pasttime: 101 Cushman (First Avenue and Cushman), 1943 - 1983

 

             Pioneer Hotel Bar: 715 First Avenue, 1903 – 1917 and 1933 – 1952.  The actual bar was shipped from France to Skagway to Dawson                  City in 1898.  Destroyed by fire.

 

             Polaris Lounge: First Avenue and Lacey Street, 1953 – 1986 and 416 Second Avenue, 1974 - 1997.

 

             Savoy Bar: 414 Second Avenue, 1938 – 1968 and 423 Second Avenue, 1968 - 1993.  Built in 1906, the original log building was                          first located on First Avenue.  The building was condemned by the Fairbanks City Council and torn down in 1968.  The bar 

              re-opened across the street at the corner of Second and Lacey.

 

             Tommy’s Elbow Room: 410 Second Avenue, 1946 – 2003.  Owned by Tommy Paskvan Jr., the bar was frequented by Native                              organizer Howard Rock, who worked on the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act at a table here.

 

              Washington Saloon: First Avenue and Lacey Street, 1904 – 1917.  Owned by Bill McPhee, who had also owned a saloon in Dawson                   City.  In 1927, workers found $8,500 in twenty dollar gold pieces in the walls of the old saloon.

 

GULKANA

               Sourdough Roadhouse: Mile 148 Richardson Highway, 1933 – 1992.  Built in 1902, one of the most visited roadhouses in Alaska.                      Rooms, meals, and liquor could be found here.  Destroyed by fire.  Re-built in 1994 as a restaurant.

 

LIVENGOOD

               Livengood Inn: 1938 – 1970.   

 

MILLER ROADHOUSE

                Mile 115 Steese Highway, 1933 – 1970.  Built in 1896, an outpost for the gold miners in the area.  First time visitors to                                     the bar received a free drink. 

 

NENANA

                Corner Bar (aka Chuck’s Corner Bar), Front and A Street, 1951 - 2003

 

 

NORTHWAY

                 Miller’s Cave: Northway Airport, 1961 – 2012.

 

 

RUBY

                 George Carl’s Saloon, 1900 – 1917.

 

 

SALCHA

                Boon Dox Bar, Mile 33 Richardson Highway, 1957 - 1977

 

 

TANANA

                Tower House: 1909 – 1917 and 1934 – XXXX.  Decorated with ornate scrolls and massive paintings.

 

 

TOK

                Tok Lodge: 1950 – 2004.  

FOLLOW ME

  • Twitter Classic

© 2014